BABIES OFTEN LICK THEIR FINGER/HANDS and its adverse effects.
- Younger baby can’t be fed much at a time. So, when they are hungry, they start licking their fingers or hand. Sometimes even though they are tummy full they do so because it gives them a feeling of satisfaction which they receive while getting feed from mother.
- Tooth eruption- when start getting their first teeth around 6-7mnths or later for some babies then they feel tickling irritated feelings on gums and start eating their hands to get relieved.
- Babies find hands a new plaything. It’s like a toy for them when they don’t find anything around them so give teether to play.
- Eventually some babies make it a habit. They suck their hands before sleeping or sometimes in sleep also. They won’t sleep until they lick when stopped they get irritated and start crying.
- If licking fingers/hands habitual then it effects brain development also as per my elder’s suggestions I received.
- It adversely effects finger shape also if done continuously and can cause damage to it.
- Effect teeth positioning too. Irregular shapes or gaps may be the result.
- Lips get broader eventually on continuously putting full hand fingers in mouth.
- It’s quite dangerous for babies when they start teething. They may hurt themselves unknowingly.